Thursday 28 August 2014

Digital Story

It's been so long since I've last posted that I've forgotten how to do this (embed videos). In a way, it's good to be reviewing this because when I don't use it, I lose it. This is what I find with me and technology in general. If I don't practise a skill on a regular basis, I forget really fast. A few weeks later, it's like doing it all over again. Well, almost all over.

I was given an assignment to create a digital story using Microsoft's Photo Story three. Actually, I could choose between a number of formats and this is the format I chose. I wanted to learn a skill or use a software that I'd never used before, one that would stretch me and take me way out of my comfort zone. Mission accomplished. This assignment intimidated me. Now that it's finished, it feels like a big weight has been taken off my shoulders. I also wanted to make something that I could show to my students-not as something perfect but a 'first try' and a sample. Although the video definitely could use fine tuning and I wish it hadn't taken so much time, I'm relieved to be finished and excited about the finished product.

I didn't set out to make an eight minute digital story. It just happened. I had no idea how long it would be. As I tell my students, "Cover the topic. Do it justice. Don't worry about how many pages it will be. When the story is told, you'll know." There is more that I could have included...but I just wanted to birth the thing.

Now that I've finished, I've learned a few things. First, I've learned that making a digital story (video) using only photos that are free to use or share is not easy and, in many cases, likely isn't possible. Most of the photos in this video were not filtered through the free to use or share Google advanced search. This is why I'm using the 'unlisted' function on YouTube. I probably should have used the private setting and my students will have to use that setting if they don't limit themselves to free photos. I looked up Cory TenBoom using Google's advanced search and requesting only photos that were free to use or share. One photo. If I didn't restrict myself to photos or images that were free to use or share, there were lots of photos and images. I just don't think it's practical to give students an assignment and expect them to a) figure out who owns the photo, b) find their email address, c) email the owner, d) wait for a reply, all in a timely fashion. Am I missing something? If you have ideas, I'm all ears. But then, if the video is not public, is it "authentic"? If it's not public, how will my students get feedback from around the world? Isn't that the whole point of posting it online in the first place? If not, a classroom Power Point presentation will do the trick and, since it's used for educational purposes, it should be covered by fair use principles. Or would it? Do fair use laws even exist on this in Canada?

Ugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment